Dorothy Ashley's courgette and walnut cake
Skill level: Bit of effort
goodtoknow user Vicky Ashley sent in her late Mother-in-law, Dorothy Ashley's courgette and walnut cake as her Mum's Best Dish. The courgette makes the sponge extra moist and spongy with a buttercream cream and toasted walnut filling which ties the cake layers nicely together. Creaming the butter and sugar together first before adding the dry ingredients makes the cake sponge light and fluffy.
- 150g butter
- 150g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 150g self-raising flour
- 300g grated courgette
- 50g chopped walnuts
- Rind and juice of 1 orange
For the buttercream filling:
- 100g soften butter
- 200g icing sugar
- Juice of ½ orange
- 25g toasted walnuts (chopped)
See all the entries for our Mum's Best Dish competition
- Cream butter and sugar together till light and fluffy.
- Add in beaten eggs. Add in grated courgette, walnuts and orange rind and juice. Fold in the self-raising flour.
- Divide the cake mixture into two prepared 20cm/8 inch sandwich cake tins.
- Bake in the oven 180°C/350°F/Gas mark 5 for 25 to 30 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- For the buttercream, Cream butter and icing sugar together. Mix in orange juice and chopped walnuts.
- Spread the butter cream on the courgette cake. Sandwich together. Sprinkle with icing sugar on top.