Eggy crumpets and maple bacon
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Why not try something a bit special for your breakfast this weekend, like these eggy crumpets? They're simple to make but taste delicious and the whole family will love tucking in to them. Top with crispy bacon and maple syrup and you're set up for the day ahead. If you can plan ahead and leave your crumpets to soak in the eggy mix for an hour then they'll be even more juicy but they do work well with just a quick dip. If you don't fancy bacon, how about blueberries warmed in a pan and then poured over the top with maple syrup?
- 8 crumpets
- 6 eggs, beaten
- Splash of milk
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 4 rashers of streaky bacon
- Maple syrup to serve
Turn these into a quick lunch by replacing the spices with chilli flakes and top with chunky avocado and baby plum tomatoes
- Preheat the grill. Beat together the eggs, milk and spices in a large baking dish. Add the crumpets, letting the egg mixture soak in on one side and then turning over. Set aside.
- Grill your bacon until nice and crispy on both side.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat and add the crumpets, four at a time. Cook for a few minutes on one side until golden and then flip over and repeat.
- Serve two crumpets and a piece of bacon per person and drizzle with maple syrup.