Feta and rice stuffed peppers
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Our Feta and rice stuffed peppers recipe is so easy to make and the perfect lunch or side dish to a main dish. The stuffed peppers are juicy and flavoursome. This stuffed peppers recipe has a Greek feel to it with the feta cheese and olives. It's a really easy and tasty dinner that the whole family will love. We used pre-cooked rice for this so it was ready in just 15 minutes. This is a great way to get 3 of your 5-a-day with the roasted peppers, olives and cherry tomatoes. The feta cheese gives this a good salty flavour but you could always used Cheddar or a blue cheese for extra punch. We tried wild rice here but there's nothing to stop you from using cous-cous or even bulgar wheat.
- 4 peppers, any colour, cut in half (seeds removed)
- 2 packets of pre-cooked wild rice (or 300g of uncooked)
- 20 black olives, chopped
- 250g feta, cubed
- 250g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp celery seeds
- 1 tbsp olive oil
Swap the peppers and tomatoes round! Hollow out a beef tomato, using the insides in the rice mixture along with some chopped peppers
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Put two halves of pepper in individual dishes, drizzle with a little oil and soften in the oven for 5 minutes, then remove.
- Put the rest of the oil in a saucepan and sweat the chopped onion until soft. Add the tomatoes, chilli flakes, oregano and celery seeds and cook for another 2 minutes. Then stir in the feta, olives and rice and remove from the heat.
- Spoon the rice into the pepper halves and bake in the oven for 10 minutes. Serve immediately.