Shortbread star biscuits
Prep time:including chilling time
Total time:including chilling time
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
If you're looking for a quick a quick and simple Christmas food gift, or something to go with Christmas morning coffee, then give this shortbread stars a go. You only need butter, flour and sugar to make shortbread. We've added a bit of vanilla and then decorated our stars with icing sugar and edible glitter. The great thing is that you can make these stars as a food gift a week in advance. Just keep them in an airtight container and then package them up with cellophane and colourful ribbon. And they're not just for Christmas - this is a great shortbread recipe for any time of the year!
- 225g butter
- 112g plain flour
- pinch salt
- 56g caster sugar
- 56g cornflour
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Icing sugar and edible glitter to decorate
Flavour your shortbread with grated clementine rind, or 2 crushed cardamon pods, or a pinch on dried lavender
- Sieve together the dry ingredients, add the vanilla extract and rub in the butter until it forms a ball. Wrap it in cling film and leave to chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the over to 150°C/300°F/Gas Mark 2.
- Remove from the fridge and roll out the shortbread (it's easier to do this between 2 sheets of cling film) to about 1cm thickness.
- Cut out the shortbread with a star cutter and place on a non-stick baking sheet.
- Put in the middle of the oven and bake for about 15-20 mins. Leave to cool and then decorate with icing sugar and edible glitter.