Cheese and ham omelette
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Just because you’re cooking for yourself tonight, and you want something quick and inexpensive, doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be cheerful as well as cheap. This soufflé-style omelette is light in texture yet full of flavour. It’s so simple to make and once you’ve perfected the recipe, you’ll want to make it over and over again. Try different meats such as pre-cooked chicken or beef instead. Ideal for breakfast, lunch or a healthy dinner recipe if you’re trying to be good this month.
- 2 medium eggs, separated
- 25g Cheddar cheese, grated
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1tsp olive oil
- 1 slice of cooked ham, chopped
- Sprig of fresh thyme to serve (optional)
If you don’t have an omelette pan use a small non-stick frying pan instead.
- Beat the egg yolks together with the cheese and season with salt and pepper. Whisk the egg whites until just stiff and gently fold into the egg yolk mixture.
- Heat the oil in a small non-stick omelette pan, add the omelette mix and swirl around the pan. Cook until just turning golden underneath. Carefully scatter with the chopped ham.
- Pop the pan under a pre-heated grill until the omelette starts to rise and is just set. Slide onto a warm plate, fold in half and serve garnished with a sprig of fresh thyme.