Carrot and banana cake
Makes: 1x 23cm cake
Skill level: Easy peasy
This delicious carrot and banana cake recipe is halfway between a banana loaf and carrot cake, bringing the best of both worlds to one bake. This recipe is perfect with a light soft cheese topping and mashed bananas within the mix for an extra moist sponge. So easy to make and ready within a few hours, this carrot cake is well worth the wait. A moist sponge makes this recipe perfect served with a warm cuppa and shared with the rest of the family. Add a variety of dried fruit to pack this cake full of flavor and top with marzipan carrots for a special finish.
- 280g self-raising flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1tsp ground mixed spice
- 60g raisins
- 170g soft light brown sugar
- 2 medium bananas, mashed
- 170g carrots, trimmed, scrubbed, and grated
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 170ml sunflower oil
For the filling and topping:
- 50g butter, softened
- 300g icing sugar, sifted
- 125g full fat soft cheese
To make this cake look extra special, add a little edible orange food colouring to ready roll icing or marzipan and shape into little carrots to place on top.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/160°C Fan/Gas Mark 4. Grease and line 23cm deep round cake tin with greaseproof paper.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and ground mixed spice into a bowl, then stir in the raisins and brown sugar.
- Add the mashed bananas, carrots, eggs and sunflower oil and beat well with a wooden spoon.
- Pour into the prepared cake tin and bake for 50 to 60 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tine for a few minutes, before turning out onto a wire cooling rack.
- For the icing, beat together the butter and icing sugar until it looks like coarse breadcrumbs. Then beat in the soft cheese and continue beating until the icing is soft and fluffy. Cut the cake in half and sandwich together with half the icing and spread the rest of the icing on top of the cake.