Chicken Goujons with white breadcrumbs
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This recipe is a home made alternative to that old family favourite, chicken nuggets. It is quick, easy – and tastes great, too. These chicken goujons – succulent chicken breasts breaded and gently fried – can be eaten as a main meal with oven chips and peas, but they also make a great party starter, for people to share, and dip into tomato ketchup or your own home made dip.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 25g flour, seasoned with salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 300g fresh white breadcrumbs
- Oil for shallow frying
To make a dip, mix together 100ml mayonnaise, 100ml soured cream, 2tbsp snipped chives and salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Cut the chicken breasts into thin strips, cutting on the diagonal.
- Toss the strips in the seasoned flour, dip in beaten egg and then coat evenly in the breadcrumbs, making sure it coats well.
- Heat the oil in a large, deep frying pan and fry the chicken on each side until golden and cooked through. You may have to do this in batches.
- Remove from the pan and drain on kitchen paper. Serve hot or cold with tomato ketchup (for kids), or make your own adult dip.