Sprinkle fairy cakes
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
These sprinkle fairy cakes are simple and easy to make. Caster sugar, soft butter and vanilla extract makes these tasty treats moist and moreish. Topped with colourful sprinkles and a light icing, these cakes are just delicious.
- 115g white caster sugar
- 115g butter, softened
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 115g self-raising flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1tbsp milk
For the icing:
- 125g icing sifted
- 1 to 11/2 tbsp warm water
- A little edible food colouring
- Edible multi-coloured sugar balls if wished.
If you don’t want to mess about icing these cupcakes, simply serve dusted with icing sugar.
- To make this cupcake recipe, pre-heat the oven to 180°C/350°F/160°C Fan/Gas Mark 4 and place cupcake cases in a muffin tin.
- Put all the ingredients for the cup cake mixture into a large bowl (with the all in one cake making method it is very important the butter is softened) and beat well with a wooden spoon to make a smooth cake batter. Add enough extra milk to make a soft dropping consistency.
- Divide the cake mixture between the cupcake cases in the muffin tin (until they are three-quarters full). Then bake in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes. When the cupcakes are golden and firm to the touch, carefully remove from the oven and leave in the tin to cool.
- To make the icing sift the icing sugar into a bowl and gradually add 1 tablespoon warm water mixing well. If you need to add any more water add it drop by drop until you have a glace icing that is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. Colour the icing with a little edible food colouring if wished. Spoon the icing on top of the cakes and decorate with edible multi coloured sugar balls if wished.