Tomato and mozzarella puff pastry tart
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
If you want to get your children interested in cooking – as well as eating – the trick is to find something simple, and something that they will really enjoy eating at the end of it. This ticks both boxes. It’s very easy to make, it looks lovely, and it tastes great with a wonderful light texture.
- 320g sheet of ready made puff pastry
- 4tbsp tomato pizza topping
- 210g ball of mozzarella, drained, sliced and pulled into shreds
- 3-4 large plum tomatoes, sliced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- A handful of fresh basil leaves to garnish
This is an extremely versatile recipe and the toppings can be changed depending on what you fancy, ham, pineapple or mushrooms all work well.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F/200°C Fan/Gas Mark 7.
- Prepare the puff pastry sheet according to packet instructions - usually leaving at room temperature for 10 mins before using. Place the puff pastry sheet onto a lined baking sheet and leaving a 2cm border, spread with the tomato pizza topping.
- Evenly scatter the mozzarella evenly over the top before neatly adding the slices of tomato.
- Bake in the oven for 18 to 20 minutes or until the puff pastry is risen and golden.
- Season with freshly ground black pepper and scatter with basil and serve.