Mixed bean salad
Skill level: Easy peasy
This colourful mixed bean salad is a great side dish to serve as part of a summer buffet. Itís very healthy and a great source of fibre Ė and tastes really refreshing too. It goes down well when served at a summer barbecue for vegetarians and meat eaters alike. Spring onions add a delicious tangy flavor to the dish along with the tender sweet corn and red wine vinegar which gives it a kick. This healthy dish can be served for lunch or as a starter on a summerís day.
- 3 spring onions, trimmed and finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 400g can flageolet beans, drained
- 410g cannellini beans, drained
- 400g can butter beans, drained
- 390g carton black beans, drained
- 100g sweetcorn, cooked and drained
- 4-6tbsp olive oil
- 2-3tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1tsp Dijon mustard (or to taste)
- a little clear honey
- salt and pepper to serve
You can ring the changes by using lots of different beans. For example, try red kidney beans instead of the butter beans, and try adding a couple of tablespoons of freshly chopped herbs (such as flatleaf parsley or coriander) as well.
- Mix together the spring onions, garlic and red pepper in a bowl.
- Tip all the canned beans and sweetcorn into a large sieve and rinse well under cold water before adding to the bowl with the vegetables.
- Whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, mustard, honey and seasoning to form a dressing (adjust the quantities according to taste). Drizzle over the bean mixture and toss gently.