Bean and root vegetable casserole
Skill level: Easy peasy
This bean and root vegetable casserole is the perfect recipe to bring the family together on a cold and wintery night. It’s cheap and easy to prepare but most importantly a warming and filling dish that can go a long way. Use up as many vegetables and leftovers as you can to create this tasty dish.
- 1tbsp of olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 white onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 stick of celery
- 1 red pepper
- 400g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 800g tinned beans
- 2 slices of toasted brown bread
- 2tbsp of finely grated Parmesan
- 1tbsp of chopped basil
Serve the casserole with a lovely buttery mash to make the most of the rich, tomato gravy of the casserole.
- Pre-heat oven to 200°C/390°F/Fan 180°C/Gas Mark 5
- Finely chop the garlic, onion, carrot and celery and heat in an ovenproof dish on the hob with the olive oil.
- Sweat the vegetables till the onion becomes a bit translucent.
- While the vegetables sweat, chop the red pepper into nice large chunks.
- Once the vegetables have sweated down, add your red pepper and continue to cook for a couple of minutes before adding your tinned tomatoes.
- Drain and rinse your beans and add to the dish, quickly cover the dish and then place in the oven for 25 minutes.
- While your dish is bubbling away in the oven, toast your bread and allow to cool.
- Place your cooled toast in a food processer and add the grated Parmesan. Blitz the mixture to a fine breadcrumb.
- After the 25 minutes of oven time is over, take the dish out and spread the bread crumbs over the top of the casserole and return to the oven for a further 5-10 minutes or until the breadcrumbs are a golden brown.