Fennel and basil soup
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This is a super light and healthy soup that suits all diets and picky eaters! The often forgotten fennel gives the soup a tasty but refreshing aniseed taste. You can serve the soup as either a starter or main course by adding a cheese crouton on top.
- 2tbsp of olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 white onion
- 1 fennel bulb
- 300ml of chicken or vegetable stock
- 2tbsp of chopped fresh basil
If you want to add an extra aniseed flavour to the soup, add some chopped tarragon. But whatever you do, donít forget to serve the soup with some warm walnut bread for a lovely nutty twist!
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and finely chop the onion and the garlic.
- Add the garlic and onion to the oil and sweat them till the onions till they start to look translucent.
- Finely chop the fennel bulb and add to the sweated onions and garlic.
- Fry the fennel for a couple of minutes before adding your stock.
- Heat the mixture for 15 minutes, stirring regularly so the soup doesnít boil.
- Just before serving, add the chopped basil and season to taste.