Summer white bean salad
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This is a truly versatile dish that can be served with salads, as a side to larger main meals or as the perfect accompaniment to long summer barbeques. There really couldnít be an easier way to make such a healthy, colourful and hearty dish and makes a vibrant change to the shop bought bean salad youíll have tried before.
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped.
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced.
- 2tbsp red wine vinegar.
- 800g of tinned white beans
- A couple of roast peppers from a jar in olive oil (optional)
- A handful of chopped basil.
- 2tbsp extra virgin olive oil.
Try using a mixture of beans to give you an interesting taste and to make the dish more pleasing to the eye. A combination of butter beans and cannellini beans works brilliantly!
- Thinly slice your red onion and garlic and add it to a bowl along with your red wine vinegar and refrigerate for 30 mins. The vinegar will start to cook the onion and garlic so they arenít so sharp.
- Drain and rinse your tinned beans. Allow them to stand and dry as you donít want the salad to be too watery.
- After 30 mins, combine your drained beans and the vinegar, onion and garlic. Thinly slice your basil and a couple of roasted peppers and add to the beans.
- Give the salad a good mix, adding the extra virgin olive oil and season to taste.
- Place back in the refrigerator for at least another 30 minutes so the flavours all combine.