Sweet potato, red onion and chilli soup
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
A super easy soup to make, this hearty and healthy dish has a very distinctive flavor that your family will love. This sweet but savoury dish is packed with flavour and is a great alternative to simply roasting your sweet potatoes. Perfect for a winter evenings and an ideal dish to serve for fireworks night!
- 2tbsp of butter
- 2 red onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 600g of sweet potato
- 2 mild red chillies
- 1 litre of chicken or vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper
If you’re not a big fan of chilli, try using less in the recipe. If you like the flavour but not the heat, simply stir through a couple of tablespoons of sour cream through the soup before serving.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan, finely chop the garlic and red onion and sweat on a medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Peel and chop the sweet potato and cut into 2cm cubes. Add these cubes to the sweated onion and garlic mix.
- Fry the mix for a couple of minutes before finely chopping the red chillies and adding to the saucepan.
- Add the stock and simmer till the sweet potato is tender, this should take about 10-15 minutes.
- Once the potatoes are tender take the soup off the heat and blend till the soup is a creamy texture.
- Return to the saucepan and season to taste.
- Serve with some finely chopped chillies scattered on top.