Cheese and courgette tortilla
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This tortilla really is a complete meal in itself. Itís easy to make, takes longer to cook than an ordinary omelette but is a satisfying and filling meal. Serve it hot or cold as a starter for six people or main meal for two or four served with salad.
- 6 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 courgettes, sliced
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 6 eggs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 75g mature cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 mild green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
This makes an interesting dish to serve at a party Ė a bit like a quiche without the pastry! Cut into small pieces and serve cold.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a frying pan and add the courgettes. Fry for a few minutes until softened. Lift out and drain and set aside.
- Add 1 - 2 more tablespoons of oil to the pan and add the onions and potatoes. Turn down the heat and cover with a lid. Cook, turning occasionally, for 20 minutes or until the onions and potatoes are soft and translucent. Lift out and drain and set aside.
- Crack the eggs into a large bowl and whisk together lightly. Add the onions and potatoes and salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Add 50g of the cheese and the chilli and mix everything together well.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil to the pan and return to a medium heat.
- Pour the mixture into the hot frying pan and arrange the courgette slices on top. Reduce the heat to the lowest setting and cook for 20 Ė 25 minutes until there is very little liquid left on the surface.
- Heat the grill to a medium setting, sprinkle the remaining cheese on top of the tortilla and finish cooking under the grill until it is firm and lightly golden.
- Serve, cut into portions, with green salad.