Courgette fritters with minty crème fraiche
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
If you have a glut of courgettes in your garden or allotment and are running out of ideas for using them why not try this delicious fritter recipe? Grated courgettes are combined with Feta cheese and chives and are then fried and served hot or cold with a minty crème fraiche dip. They make a tempting snack to serve with any of your favourite dips and can be made as small or large as you like depending on the occasion. Ideal to serve as a canapé or as an unusual accompaniment to meat or fish dishes.
- 2 large courgettes, grated
- 1 egg, beaten
- 75g plain flour
- 150g feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tsp chopped fresh chives
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 100ml crème fraiche
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh mint
- Lemon wedges and mint sprigs to garnish
If you don’t have any fresh mint to hand, add 2 teaspoons of mint sauce instead.
- Mix together the courgettes, egg, flour, cheese and chives. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and when hot, drop in spoonfuls of the mixture, flattening slightly with the back of a spoon.
- Fry for 5 minutes, turning once, until golden brown and crispy. Lift out and drain.
- To make the dip, mix together the crème fraiche and mint
- Serve the fritters, hot or cold, with the dip.
- Garnish with the lemon wedges and mint sprigs.