Beef with vegetables
Skill level: Easy peasy
This is a deliciously spicy stir fry and is a tasty mix of beef and vegetables. Use rump steak if you want to go for a more expensive version or a lean casserole steak for a cheaper meal. You can use any vegetables of your choice. Serve with rice or noodles.
- 350g rump or lean casserole steak
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tsp sesame or vegetable oil
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and cut into strips
- 1 green pepper, deseeded and cut into strips
- 2 sticks celery, sliced
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2.5cm piece fresh root ginger, cut into very fine strips
- 120ml beef stock
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp sherry or Chinese rice wine
- 2 tsp soft, light brown sugar
This recipe can be made with pork or lamb as well as beef. You can also use any leftover beef from a Sunday roast as an alternative.
- Trim the beef of any excess fat and cut into thin strips across the grain of the meat.
- Toss the meat in cornflour and coat thoroughly, shaking off any excess.
- Heat the oil in a wok, frying or sauté pan and add the beef. Stir fry over a high heat for 3 minutes until just cooked.
- Remove the beef from the pan, set aside and keep warm.
- Add the peppers, celery, onions, garlic, ginger and stock. Cover and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Remove the lid and continue to cook, stirring continuously until the stock has reduced to about a couple of tablespoons.
- Mix together the soy sauce, sherry or rice wine and brown sugar and add to the wok with the beef. Stir fry for 2 – 3 minutes. Serve with rice or noodles.