Courgette, tomato and mozzarella gratin
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This is a very simple gratin dish. Serve it hot with fish, meats and poultry or on its own as a delicious, light lunch dish. Courgettes, tomatoes, Cheddar and mozzarella complement one another perfectly. Serve with garlic bread or crusty bread to mop up the juices. A good vegetarian dish too. This dish could also be served as a simple starter
- 2 large courgettes, sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 large tomatoes, sliced
- 50g mature Cheddar cheese, grated
- 125g Mozzarella, sliced
- 2 tsp fresh chopped oregano
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Basil leaves to garnish
This dish makes a great vegetable accompaniment to a main meal – if you are serving it with a roast meal you may prefer to omit the Cheddar cheese and mozzarella.
- Preheat oven to 190⁰C/375⁰F/Fan 170⁰C/Gas Mark 5. Sprinkle the courgettes with salt and leave for 10 minutes. This will draw out some of the moisture. Pat dry with kitchen paper.
- Put the courgettes in a bowl and add 1 tablespoon of the oil. Toss the courgettes in the oil so that the slices are evenly coated.
- Arrange the courgettes and tomatoes in an ovenproof dish, sprinkling on the oregano, salt and freshly ground black pepper. Place in the oven and cook for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle the Cheddar cheese on top of the courgette and tomato slices and add the Mozzarella. Drizzle over the remaining olive oil.
- Return the dish to the oven and cook for a further 10 minutes. Scatter over the basil leaves and serve immediately.