Blueberry and orange muffins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Blueberry and orange muffins are a fab breakfast, brunch, lunch or snack option and this recipe in particular is a really original and tasty twist on a classic. These lovely blueberry and orange muffins will take only 5 mins to prepare and 15 mins to cook - so you can have these wonderful treats ready to be eaten in less than half an hour! Tangy blueberries and orange make a great combo and these muffins will fill your home with the scent of baking which is so inviting. Try adding a twist to the classic blueberry muffin with this easy recipe and whip up a batch of tempting muffins for your friends and family. Enjoy them with a cup of afternoon tea with the rest of the family and keep them in an airtight container for a few days - reheating them if you want them warm.
- 85g butter, cut into chunks
- 215g plain flour
- 65g sugar
- 2tsp baking powder
- ¼tsp salt
- 150ml whole milk
- 1 large egg
- 1tsp finely grated orange zest
- ½tsp vanilla essence
- 100g blueberries
Don't fill the cups in your muffin tin more than ¾ full of batter, or you'll end up with very flat muffin tops. To get nice domed tops, fill them about 2∕3 full.
- To make this blueberry muffin recipe, preheat oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5. Melt butter in a small saucepan over a medium heat. Leave to cool for 5 minutes. Meanwhile line the muffin tray with muffin liners.
- Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together in a medium bowl. In a separate small bowl, beat together the milk, egg, orange zest and vanilla. Stir in the blueberries. Add the milk mixture and melted butter to the flour mixture and stir gently until combined.
- Fill each muffin liner with batter. Sprinkle sugar evenly over the tops. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until the muffins are golden brown and the toothpick inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out clean. Leave to cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes before serving.