Pepperoni pizza with chilli and onion
Prep time:plus proving
Total time:plus proving
Skill level: Easy peasy
This easy pepperoni pizza is given a chilli and onion twist. Forget ordering in takeaway pizza making your own is far more satisfying and much cheaper. This one has a lovely thick dough base and is topped with masses of melting cheese and spicy pepperoni sausage and Mexican jalapeno peppers. Prepare everything before you start and make sure the kitchen is warm to help the dough rise quickly. To get a really crisp pizza base heat a heavy-duty metal baking sheet or pizza stone in the oven for 15 mins, sprinkle with a little cornmeal or flour then carefully slide the pizza onto the hot surface and bake. This recipe serves 2-4 people and will take around 45 mins to prepare and cook, plus cooling time. This pepperoni pizza is bursting with flavour, spice and is sure to become a family regular!
- 300g strong white bread flour
- 1½tsp easy bake or fast action dried yeast
- ½tsp salt
- Approx 180ml hand hot water
- ½ x 300g jar tomato and basil pizza topping
- 200g bag ready grated Mozzarella and Cheddar cheese
- 1tsp dried Italian mixed herbs
- 130g packet thinly sliced pepperoni sausage
- 2 green jalapeno peppers, drained and thinly sliced
- Few thinly sliced onion rings
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Fresh basil leaves, to garnish
You’ll find jars of jalapeno peppers in brine near the Mexican products in larger supermarkets. Or for a more fiery topping use sliced fresh red chilli peppers.
- Sift the flour into a bowl and stir in the yeast and salt. Add the water and mix to a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface and knead for 5mins until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl and cover with cling film. Leave in a warm place until the dough has doubled in size (about 1 hr).
- Punch the risen dough to knock out the large air bubbles and knead for 1 min. Roll the dough out to a 25cm circle and place on a large baking sheet. Cover loosely with greased cling film and leave in a warm place for 20mins until puffy.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F/Fan 200°C/Gas Mark 7. Spread the pizza topping over the base leaving a 1cm border. Top with the grated cheese and sprinkle over the dried herbs. Arrange the pepperoni slices on top and scatter over the jalapeno pepper and onion slices. Drizzle with the olive oil.
- Bake for 12-15mins until the base is crisp and the cheese is melted, golden and bubbling. Serve garnished with basil leaves.