Sausage and pepper kebabs
Skill level: Easy peasy
Made with German bratwurst and Spanish chorizo sausages these kebabs have a real continental flavour. Bratwurst sausages are usually made from pork or a mix of pork and veal and are highly seasoned with mustard and spices so there is no need to season these kebabs. Here we have used the raw variety of bratwurst and boiled them briefly so they hold their shape when cut into chunks and grilled. If you buy ready cooked sausages then simply thread them onto the skewers and grill for 5-6mins until the sausage is heated through and the pepper and onion are just tender.
- 4 raw bratwurst sausages
- 2 red onions, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 green peppers, deseeded and cubed
- 2 small cooked chorizo sausages, each cut into 4 pieces
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2tsp runny honey
- Boiled rice, to serve
These kebabs can be cooked on the barbecue too. Place around the cooler edges of the grill and turn frequently to prevent the glaze from burning.
- Place the bratwurst sausages in a pan, cover with water and bring to the boil. Boil for 1min then remove the sausages and leave until cool enough to handle. Cut each sausage into four.
- Thread the sausages onto 8 long wooden skewers with the onions, pepper and chorizo sausage. Place on a foil-lined grill pan and cook under a medium preheated grill for 8-10mins, turning frequently.
- Mix together the oil, vinegar and honey to make a glaze and brush over the kebabs. Grill for a further 2-3mins until golden and lightly charred in places. Serve on a bed of boiled rice.