One pot sausage and rice
Skill level: Easy peasy
Similar to a jambalaya this spiced pork, pepper and sausage rice dish is great for a filling family supper served with crusty bread or a crisp green salad. Itís made in just one pan so thereís hardly any washing up which is an added bonus during the busy working week! You will need to use a deep frying pan, preferably one that is non-stick or use a large deep flameproof casserole. Easy cook rice has been through a process that makes the grains stay separate and fluffy when cooked and is ideal for this recipe, but if unavailable use ordinary long grain rice and rinse thoroughly before using.
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 400g pork fillet, cubed
- 150g chorizo sausage, thickly sliced
- 2tsp paprika
- 1tsp chilli powder
- 250g easy-cook long grain rice
- 200g can chopped tomatoes
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 2tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 green pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 2tbsp fresh chopped coriander
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Chorizo has a spicy flavour which works well in this dish but you can use other varieties of spiced Continental sausages Ė just check out the deli counter in your local supermarket.
- Heat the oil in a large deep frying pan and fry the onion and garlic for 6-7mins until softened. Stir in the pork and chorizo sausage and fry until browned all over.
- Stir in the paprika, chilli powder and rice and cook, stirring for 1min. Add the tomatoes, stock and Worcestershire sauce and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat, add the pepper and simmer for 30-35mins, stirring occasionally until most of the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is tender. Stir in the coriander and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.