Sautéed lemon Brussels sprouts
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Brussels sprouts are very much like Marmite, love them or hate them they are a tradition on the Christmas dinner table. Whilst they are not everyone’s favourite but this method of parboiling, sautéing and then drizzling with lemon juice will have you reaching for a second helping of Brussels sprouts. It’s a great vegetable side dish ready in minutes and will be a great accompaniment to your Christmas dinner. The lemon gives the whole recipe a bit of edge and although this is a very simple recipe, that little squeeze of lemon at the end really transforms it.
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 450g brussels sprouts
- 2 large pinches of coarse sea salt
- 1 lemon, juice only
For extra decadence sprinkle with some freshly grated parmesan cheese.
- Trim the spouts if they are still on the stalk and cut each in half.
- Steam over a pan of boiling water for 6 minutes and remove from the heat.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan on a medium-high heat and add the brussels sprouts ensuring they are in an even layer across the pan.
- Allow to fry on one side for 3-4 minutes before turning them over. Fry for a further 3 minutes until they are just turning crispy.
- Remove from the pan, sprinkle with salt and a squeeze of lemon juice. Serve immediately.