Skill level: Bit of effort
Costs: Cheap as chips
Don't be afraid to prepare Indian breads at home, they are actually quite simple once you know how. These breads can be served with your meal or as a starter. Soft on the inside and golden brown on the outside these delicious breads are perfect for sharing and are pretty easy to make too. Once youíve perfected this recipe youíll want to make them over and over. Full of spice and packed with flavour, you donít have to do much to these breads to turn them into a tasty side dish.
- 5oog potatoes
- 1/2tsp ground cumin
- 1tsp garam masala
- 1tsp salt
- 3 spring onions, finely sliced
- 2 green chillies
- 1/2 inch ginger
- 2 garlic coves
- 400g wholemeal flour
- 80ml sunflower oil
- 200ml hot water
- A little extra oil for frying
You could try adding different ingredients to the potato mixture such as frozen garden peas.
- Take your potatoes boil and mash them.
- Take the garlic and ginger and mash them into a paste.
- Heat a little oil and fry the spring onions, garam masala, sliced green chillies and cumin.
- Mix the spice mixture with the potatoes and the salt and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl place the flour and make a well in the centre and add the oil. Slowly add the water to form a soft dough. The dough should be soft and smooth, not sticky.
- Take a golf ball sized piece of dough and the same of potato.
- Roll the dough in a circle about 4 inches in diameter and place the potato in the centre. pinch the dough closed around the filling.
- Flatten the ball with the palm of your hand. Roll the smooth side gently until it is about 1mm thick.
- Once you have prepared all of the paratha fry them in a little oil on either side and serve hot.