Crushed new potatoes and shoots
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
If youíre in the mood for trying something different for lunch today, this delicious and flavour-packed crushed new potatoes and shoots salad is a great choice. It takes under 40 mins to cook and prepare and is bursting with fresh flavour Ė itís like a plate full of summer all in one. The quail eggs work really well with the buttery potatoes but donít worry if you canít find any quail eggs, you could use chicken or duck eggs instead, just remember to increase the cooking time.
- 500g new potatoes
- 100g asparagus tips
- 3tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon; zest and juice of half
- 2-4 spring onions, trimmed, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 100g petit pois, just cooked
- 8 quail eggs, hard-boiled (see Tip)
- 2 handfuls of pea shoots
- 1 punnet mustard and cress
Add the quail eggs to boiling salted water and cook for 21/2 - 3 minutes, then refresh under cold water and remove the shells. Add Serrano ham, torn into strips, if you like.
- Add the potatoes to a pan of boiling salted water and simmer for 15-20 mins, until almost tender. Add the asparagus to the pan for 2 mins. Take the spears out and refresh them under cold water. Drain the potatoes and leave them in the colander for 5 mins.
- Halve the potatoes as you put them in a bowl, then squash them gently with a fork. Shake the oil, lemon zest and juice in a jar. Pour about half of the dressing over the potatoes, mix in with the spring onion and season well.
- Arrange the asparagus on plates. Pile the potato mixture on top. Sprinkle the peas over, then add the egg halves and pea shoots. Scatter mustard and cress around the edge of the plate and drizzle with more dressing.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 170(kcal)
- Fat 9.0g
- Saturates 2.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.