Raspberry fairy cakes
Prep time:plus cooling
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Tangy and juicy fresh raspberries are hidden inside these moist almond flavoured fairy cakes. They are also topped with a sweet raspberry flavoured icing which makes them even fruitier! You can use frozen raspberries if fresh are unavailable; there’s no need to defrost them. Alternatively drop a small spoonful of raspberry jam into the paper cases before topping with the sponge mixture. These cakes are best eaten on the day of baking and icing. For a quick dessert serve the fairy cakes warm from the oven, topped with whipped cream instead of the icing and drizzled with sweetened raspberry puree.
- 100g fresh raspberries
- 115g butter, softened
- 115g caster sugar
- 2 medium eggs, lightly beaten
- 1tsp almond extract
- 115g self-raising flour
- 1-2tbsp milk
For the raspberry icing:
- 2tbsp fresh raspberry puree
- 175g icing sugar, sifted
- 2-3tsp warm water
To make a smooth raspberry puree for the icing, use the back of a spoon to push 50g fresh raspberries through a fine-holed sieve.
- To make this cupcake recipe, preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Fan 160C/Gas Mark 4. Line a 12-hole bun tray with 12 paper cases. Divide the raspberries between the paper cases.
- Place the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl and beat together until very pale and fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs, a spoonful at a time. Beat well after each addition and if the mixture begins to curdle add a spoonful of the measured flour.
- Beat in the almond extract then sift over the flour and fold in gently with a metal spoon. Fold in enough of the milk to give a soft dropping consistency. Divide the mixture between the paper cases. Bake for 15-20mins until risen, golden and springy to the touch.
- Leave the fairy cakes in the tray for about 5mins then transfer to a cooling rack and leave to cool completely.
- To make the raspberry icing, place the puree in a bowl and gradually stir in the icing sugar to make a smooth icing, adding a little warm water if needed to achieve a thick spooning consistency. Spread the icing over the top of the fairy cakes and leave in a cool place until set.