Mushroom and sausage frittata
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
A perfect weekend breakfast this mushroom and sausage frittata is mainly cooked in the oven so you donít have to stand over it while cooking, giving more time for the Sunday papers! Tender sausages and juicy mushrooms make a perfect combination. Make sure you donít overcook the egg so itís just right. Sprinkle with cheese to finish and grill for the last 5 mins for a crispy topping.
- 4 chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 25g butter
- 2 cooked sausages, sliced
- 8 eggs
- 2tbsp milk
- 125g Cheddar cheese, grated
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Served cold this also makes a great lunch or picnic dish. Try adding a little chopped onion when frying the mushrooms and some chopped herbs or a few spinach leaves add colour and flavour.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Fan 160C/Gas Mark 4. Melt 3/4 of the butter in a small pan and gently cook the mushrooms for 1Ė2 mins.
- Use the remaining butter to grease a shallow, round oven-proof dish about 20cm in diameter. Arrange the cooked mushrooms and sausage slices in the dish.
- Beat together the eggs and milk and add half the cheese. Season and then pour into the dish.
- Bake in the oven for 20 mins. Sprinkle over the remaining cheese and return to the oven for a further 10 mins or until lightly set. Leave to cool for 5 mins before cutting in wedges to serve.