Rhubarb and strawberries with balsamic vinegar
Total time:plus cooling
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
You may think this is a strange combination – rhubarb and strawberries with balsamic vinegar – but it really works. The slight acidity of the vinegar really brings out the sweetness of the strawberries and the flavour of the rhubarb. Use a good quality balsamic vinegar, one that is syrupy and not too sharp, for the best flavour. This mixture is delicious spooned over ice cream or with meringues and cream and is a lovely twist on classic strawberries and cream. A simple dessert to make and a good one if you’ve bought some strawberries that are slightly underipe and lack flavour.
- 300g rhubarb, cut into 2cm pieces
- 15g butter
- 4tbsp golden caster sugar
- 300g strawberries, sliced
- 2tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Vanilla ice cream, to serve
It’s well worth buying a good quality bottle of balsamic vinegar. It can be used as a dip with olive oil for serving with crusty bread and it makes a wonderful dressing to drizzle over tomato salad.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/350°F/Fan 180°C/Gas Mark 6. Place the rhubarb in a baking dish, dot with the butter and sprinkle over the sugar. Bake for 15 mins until the rhubarb is soft but not mushy.
- Allow to cool slightly then add the strawberries and balsamic vinegar and lightly mix together. Serve at room temperature spooned over ice cream.