Steak, chicory and orange salad
Skill level: Easy peasy
This steak, chicory and orange salad is a delicious, flavoursome treat when the sun is shining. Enjoy in the comfort of your own garden with friends and family, this mouth-watering salad combines tender sirloin steak with tangy orange and a kick of Dijon mustard. You could serve this dish in a pocket pitta or with some wholemeal brown bread. This simple and speedy salad is ready in under 30 mins and is sure to brighten up your day.
- 6tsps olive oil
- 2 thickish sirloin steaks (about 150g)
- 2 oranges; 1 juiced, 1 segmented
- 2tsps sherry vinegar
- 1 rounded tsp Dijon mustard
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 red onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 2 heads white chicory, each sliced into 4 pieces lengthways
- 1 head of red chicory or radicchio
- A good handful of wild rocket
For extra flavour, crush a garlic clove and mix with the oil to rub on the steak.
- Heat a frying pan over a medium heat. Rub 1 tsp of oil over each steak. Season them and fry for 1½-2 mins on either side. Wrap in foil and set aside.
- Bring the orange juice to the boil in a pan until syrupy and reduced by half. Take off the heat, whisk in the vinegar, mustard, 1 tsp oil and seasoning.
- Toss the red onion and white chicory in the rest of the oil. Griddle them for a few mins until browning and tender. Slice the steaks thinly.
- Mix all the warm ingredients with the orange segments and the dressing. Serve on plates with the red chicory and rocket.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 179(kcal)
- Fat 8.0g
- Saturates 2.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.