Cauliflower and radish salad
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Raw cauliflower makes a delicious addition to salads, itís crisp and crunchy and has a slight mustardy flavour. The colours of this cauliflower and radish salad with strips of yellow pepper and mixed leaves make it look very appealing, and the addition of chickpeas make it filling and satisfying too. It goes really well with a soured cream and chive dressing but if youíre following a dairy-free diet you can use an oat based or soya cream alternative with the addition of lemon juice or use some mayonnaise (most ready-made mayonnaise is dairy-free) with a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Ĺ cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 8 radishes, sliced
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 210g can chickpeas, drained
- 3 tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 100g mixed salad leaves
- 1tbsp chopped fresh parsley
For the dressing:
- 4tbsp soured cream or 4tbsp mayonnaise (for a dairy-free dressing)
- 1tbsp lemon juice (if using mayonnaise)
- 1tbsp chopped fresh chives
For a main meal salad add 2 sliced cooked chicken breasts or leftover cooked chicken from a roast.
- Mix together the cauliflower florets, radishes, yellow pepper, chickpeas and tomatoes. Place the salad leaves in bowl, tip the cauliflower mixture on top and sprinkle over the parsley.
- Mix together the dressing ingredients and season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Serve separately with the salad.