Chicken liver pate with brandy
Total time:plus chilling overnight
Skill level: Easy peasy
Though usually bought, chicken liver pate is a quick and easy recipe to do at home in a food processor. This smooth creamy version is great to serve at parties, on picnics or on special occasions such as Christmas. Serve with crusty wholemeal bread and watch this smooth pate disappear in minutes. The brandy adds a delicious tangy flavor to the mix which is not to be missed.
- 200g butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 500g chicken livers, trimmed and halved
- 1tbsp brandy
- 2tbsp double cream
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- 1/4tsp dried thyme
- 1/4tsp salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- French bread, cranberry sauce, apple chutney
Try a twist on this recipe by chopping 4 rashers of streaky bacon into small pieces and adding to the pan when frying the onion.
- Melt 100g of the butter in a frying pan, add the onions and cook gently for about 10 mins until softened and just beginning to turn brown.
- Add the garlic and chicken livers and cook until the livers are golden brown and cooked through. Remove from the heat. Add the brandy, cream, nutmeg and thyme.
- Put everything into a food processor and blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Put into a serving dish or divide between individual ramekins.
- Melt the remaining butter in a small pan. Skim off the froth and pour the butter in a layer over the pate. Put in the fridge to chill overnight.