Chicken with apples and pecans
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This easy one pan dish marries chicken with the fruity flavour of apples and the crunch of pecans. Itís a sweet and savory dish all in one. Plenty of flavor turns this tender chicken into a mouth-watering meal youíll want to make time and time again. Serve with potatoes or rice. This dish is ready within 30 mins which makes it perfect for the mid-week after school rush. If you donít have pecans you can substitute walnuts in this recipe.
- 2tbsp rapeseed oil
- 4 small boneless, skin-on chicken breasts
- 200ml chicken stock
- 2 dessert apples, cored and cut in wedges
- 2tsp fresh chopped thyme leaves
- 50g pecans, lightly toasted and chopped
- 2tbsp creme fraiche
To toast pecans or walnuts, spread out on a baking tray and cook in the oven at 180įC/350įF/Fan 160įC/Gas Mark 4 for about 4-5 mins until they become aromatic. Watch carefully as they easily burn.
- Heat the oil in a deep sided frying pan. Add the chicken breasts and brown on both sides. Add the chicken stock, apples and thyme, cover and cook gently for about 20 mins until the chicken is tender and cooked through.
- Remove the chicken and apples to a serving plate and keep warm.
- Turn up the heat on the chicken stock and reduce by about half. Stir in the pecans and creme fraiche. Heat for a minute then pour over the chicken to serve.