Griddled chicken salad
Skill level: Easy peasy
A tasty salad that can be thrown together in a jiffy. Makes a good lunch box meal, but keep the croutons separate and add just before eating so they donít go soggy and wet. This recipe is great for using up leftover chicken. If preferred, swap the chicken for beef, lamb or pork instead. You could also remove the chicken and have a simple and delicious veggie salad instead. Ready in 10 mins this dish is a must-make, especially when the weather cheers up!
- 6tbsp olive oil
- 2Ė3 thick slices day old ciabatta bread, torn into small chunks
- 2 small skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1/2tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- Pinch salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 little gem lettuce, torn into pieces
To ring the changes try fresh tuna steaks instead of chicken in this recipe and add some chopped dill for added flavour.
- Heat 2 tbsp of the oil in a small frying pan. Add the ciabatta bread and fry gently until golden brown and crisp. Drain and put to one side.
- Starting at the thickest side of the chicken breast, slice the breast crosswise through the side. Open up the breast and press to flatten. Repeat with the other breast.
- Heat a griddle pan and brush lightly with oil. Place the chicken breasts on the griddle and cook for about 2 mins each side until cooked through. Remove from the pan and cut into small pieces.
- Put 3 tbsp of the oil, the mustard and vinegar into a small bowl and mix well together. Season.
- Put the lettuce into a serving bowl. Scatter over the chicken and croutons. Add the dressing, toss together and serve.