Chocolate-dipped Viennese finger biscuits
Skill level: Easy peasy
Get creative with these classic Viennese finger biscuits. Dipped in a rich dark chocolate coating, these Vienna fingers biscuits are easy to make and ideal for sharing. This Viennese biscuits recipe makes 26 small biscuits, so it's enough if you have some friends or family coming round for a cuppa on a Sunday afternoon. You can pre-dip the biscuits and leave them to set or if you can let your guests dip their biscuits instead and turn these tasty treats into a dessert recipe, and very sweet experience. You can add even more flavour to these biscuits by coating them in chopped nuts like pistachios too - yum!
- 175g butter, softened
- 60g golden icing sugar
- 125g plain flour
- 60g cornflour
- ½tsp ground cardamom or cinnamon, optional
- About 90g dark chocolate
- Chopped pistachios, optional
- Piping bag and 1cm (½in) fluted nozzle
- 2 baking sheets lined with baking parchment
Flavour biscuits with the finely grated zest of an orange, lemon or lime, with or without the spice. You’ll need to finely crush 10-12 cardamom pods to get 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom.
- Cream the butter and icing sugar until light and fluffy. Sift in the flour, cornflour and spice, if using, and beat well.
- Set the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Put the mixture in the piping bag and pipe fingers, about 7.5cm long, spaced evenly apart on the paper.
- Bake for 15 mins. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Melt the chocolate in a small bowl over a pan of hot water. Dip one or both ends of the fingers in the chocolate and place on paper to set. After dipping in chocolate, you could dip the ends in finely chopped pistachios, if you like.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 100(kcal)
- Fat 6.5g
- Saturates 4.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.