Penne pasta with spinach and cream
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
A lovely lunch or light dish for dinner this penne pasta with spinach and cream is quick to make and great for vegetarians. It only takes 15 mins to cook and is packed full of a creamy, tomato infused flavor which is irresistible. A tangy garlic undertone, this delicious dish is perfect for a romantic dinner for two. If you have any leftover store it in an airtight container in the fridge and use within 2 days.
- 250g penne pasta
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 handfuls baby spinach leaves
- 150ml double cream or creme fraiche
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tomatoes, skinned, seeds removed and flesh roughly chopped
Drain pasta as soon as it is done as pasta continues to cook and can easily become too soft. Also never rinse pasta as the starch on the surface helps the sauce to cling.
- Cook the pasta according to pack instructions.
- Heat the oil in a small frying pan and cook the onion for about 5 mins until cooked but not browned.
- Add the garlic and spinach and cook until the spinach just begins to wilt. Add the cream and heat gently. Season.
- Drain the pasta and toss in the cream sauce. Serve in bowls and scatter over the chopped tomatoes.