Butterscotch rice with berries
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This delicious pudding can be put together in minutes using a store cupboard staple and some fresh berries. Make it special by sprinkling with icing sugar and decorating with fresh leaves such as mint or basil and serve with a crisp biscuit. Serve as a light dessert or cheeky breakfast at the weekend. The kids will love this tasty treat – and it’s packed with berries too.
- 15g butter
- 2tbsp caster sugar
- 200g raspberries
- 200g blueberries
- 2tbsp dark Muscovado sugar
- 400g can creamed rice pudding
- 1/2tsp vanilla extract
To add a soft mellow spice flavour use 1/2tsp ground cinnamon in place of the vanilla extract.
- Melt the butter in a pan and stir in the sugar. Stir over a low heat until the sugar has melted. Add the raspberries and blueberries and cook very gently for about 2 mins until the fruit just begins to soften. Remove from the heat.
- Put the Muscovado sugar and creamed rice into a bowl and mix together. Add the vanilla extract. Spoon the mixture into 4 serving dishes.
- Spoon some fruit onto the rice in each dish. Serve at room temperature.