Spaghetti with chilli and herbs
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
A rustic Italian dish that is very cheap and easy to make. Make sure you buy a good quality spaghetti as this is pasta with the minimum amount of ingredients so the flavour of the spaghetti should shine through. A quick and substantial meal to make when you come home tired after a day at work or a late night out. It is easily halved to serve two.
- 500g spaghetti
- 8tbsp virgin olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 fat red chilli pepper, chopped
- 1tbsp finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1tbsp finely chopped oregano
- salt and freshly milled black pepper
If you donít have fresh oregano use 1 tsp of dried oregano or marjoram. Also if you donít like your chilli too hot remove the seeds before chopping the flesh.
- Cook the spaghetti according to pack instructions.
- Meanwhile heat the olive oil in a small frying pan and add the garlic and chilli. Cook very gently for about 2 minutes taking care they do not burn or the flavour will be bitter.
- Remove from the heat and add the parsley, oregano and season to taste.
- Drain the spaghetti well then return to the saucepan, pour in the oil mixture and toss well together. Serve straight away in warm bowls.