Salted caramel Swiss roll
Skill level: Bit of effort
This delicious, gooey and rich salted caramel Swiss roll is perfect for sharing. Serve warm with a scoop of ice cream or cold in slices. Your family are going to love tucking into this mouth-watering treat. The savoury flavour from the salted caramel works well against the richness of the chocolate to make one tasty bake. Triple tested in the Womanís Weekly kitchen this Swiss roll serves 10.
- 3 large eggs
- 125g caster sugar
- 60g plain flour
- 30g cocoa powder
- 90g butter, softened
- 275g icing sugar
- 60g caster sugar
- Ĺ rounded tsp sea salt flakes
- 100g dark chocolate
- 100ml whipping or
- Double cream
- 2 tbsp apricot jam
- Swiss roll tin (34 x 24cm), lined with baking parchment
Serve warm with ice cream for dessert
- To make the sponge: Set the oven to 200įC/400įF/Gas Mark 6. Using an electric mixer, whisk the eggs and sugar until thick and creamy (and the whisk leaves a trail on the surface when you take it out). Sift in the flour and cocoa, add 1 tablespoon hot water and fold in with a large metal spoon. Spoon mixture into the prepared tin, smoothing gently into the corners. Bake for 10-12 mins. Turn out onto a clean piece of parchment, sprinkled with a little sugar. Peel off lining paper and trim edges. Roll sponge up from a short end, with the paper inside, and leave to cool.
- To make the caramel filling: Beat the butter, icing sugar and 1-2 tablespoons warm water to a butter icing. Heat a heavy-based pan and slowly pour in the sugar. Gently jiggle the pan as the sugar starts to liquefy. When itís dissolved to a caramel, add the salt and pour it into the butter icing, mixing in well. Donít worry about small crunchy bits of caramel.
- To make the ganache icing: Break the chocolate into a bowl over a pan of simmering water. Add the cream and leave for about 10 mins. Stir until smooth and leave for 5-10 minutes to cool and thicken.
- Meanwhile, unroll the Swiss roll and spread the caramel mixture over. Roll it up. Warm the apricot jam and brush it over the cake, then swirl the ganache over with a palette knife. Keep the sponge cool before serving.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 359(kcal)
- Fat 15.0g
- Saturates 18.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.