Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
These all-day breakfast pancakes use a basic pancake recipe that is simple and delicious. Served with succulent bacon, a gooey egg, fresh cherry tomatoes and chestnut mushrooms, this mouth-watering dish is perfect come breakfast time or brunch. The pancakes work really well with the sweet and savoury combination. If you want to add a little more sweetness to the dish drizzle with maple syrup.
IngredientsFor the pancakes:
- 90g plain flour
- 1½ level tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 3 med eggs
- 100ml skimmed milk
- Spray oil
- 2 bacon medallions
- 100g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 175g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1-2 tbsp freshly shredded basil
- Salt and ground black pepper
If you don't eat red meat, swap the bacon medallions for turkey rashers instead
- To make the pancakes: tip the flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Break 1 egg into the milk and mix. Gradually whisk into the flour to give a smooth batter.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan and spray lightly with oil. Drop 3-4 dessertspoonfuls of the mixture into the pan and spread out to give rounds about 7cm in diameter. Cook for 1-2 mins, then turn them over and cook for 1- 2 mins more, until lightly golden on both sides. Remove from the pan and cook the remaining mixture, keeping the first batch warm.
- Spray oil in the pan and cook the bacon for 1-2 mins on both sides. Push to one side of the pan and add 1 spray of oil to the clear area. Add the mushrooms and cook for 1-2 mins. Add the tomatoes and cook until they start to soften, then stir in the basil and seasoning.
- Poach the remaining 2 eggs. Divide the pancakes between 2 plates and top each with a piece of bacon. Spoon on the tomato and mushroom mixture and top with poached eggs. Grind over a little black pepper and serve.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 350(kcal)
- Fat 14.0g
- Saturates 4.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.