Sticky Jaffa loaf
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This sticky and sweet jaffa loaf combines citrusy orange with a dense sponge to make one delicious loaf recipe that you’ll want to make time and time again. Warm marmalade and a creamy, yogurt mix makes this loaf different to the rest. Triple tested in the Woman’s Weekly kitchen, this baked good only takes 1hr 30 mins to rustle up and is well worth the wait.
- 3 tbsps good-quality thin-cut marmalade
- 150g tub 0% fat plain yogurt
- 3 medium eggs
- 175g golden caster sugar
- 175g spreadable butter
- 175g self-raising flour
- 30g cocoa powder
- ½ tsp baking powder
- Zest of 1 large orange
- Juice of ½ an orange
- 5 tbsps good-quality thin-cut marmalade
- 22 x 8cm continental loaf tin or 900g loaf tin, buttered and strip-lined
For extra richness, you can add 60g chopped Mayan gold (spicy orange) chocolate.
- Set the oven to 160°C/325°F/Gas Mark 3. Warm the marmalade, beat in the yogurt and set aside.
- Beat the rest of the ingredients in a large bowl until smooth. Quickly beat in the yogurt and spoon the mixture into the tin.
- Bake for about 1¼ hours or until a skewer, when inserted, comes out clean. Check loaf after an hour.
- Leave in the tin for 10 mins to cool. Make holes in it with the skewer.
- To make the glaze: Bring the orange juice to the boil in a small pan, then add the marmalade and heat until bubbling and smooth. Spoon it over the cake. Leave to cool in the tin.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 256(kcal)
- Fat 13.0g
- Saturates 8.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.