Roast chicken with garlic
Prep time:plus 2hrs marinating
Total time:plus 2hrs marinating
Skill level: Easy peasy
This recipe might have an extraordinary amount of garlic and certainly enough to keep any vampires at bay but once they have been cooked, the garlic flesh becomes very sweet and tender, like a creamy, very flavoursome puree. Squeeze the cloves out and spread over the chicken flesh then devour!
- 1.5kg free-range chicken
- 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 sprigs of fresh thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 garlic bulbs, broken into individual cloves
- 60g butter, softened
- 250ml water
Make gravy from the chicken juices by adding a glass of wine, a few thyme leaves and 1tsp cornflour mixed into a paste with water to thicken
- In a freezer bag, add 2 cloves chopped garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, half the thyme and salt and pepper. Put the juiced lemon and thyme in the chicken cavity along with 4-5 cloves unpeeled garlic cloves, then put the chicken in the freezer bag and massage the juice and herbs into the skin. Put in the fridge for a couple of hours to marinate.
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Separate the cloves from garlic bulbs, leaving peel intact, then place the cloves, in a single layer, in a roasting tin and place chicken on the garlic.
- Pour in the water, then roast the chicken, brushing occasionally with the pan juices, for about 1 hour 20 minutes or until cooked through. You can test if the chicken is done by inserting a metal skewer into the thickest part of the meat. If the juices run clear, its done.