Smoked haddock with caper sauce
Skill level: Easy peasy
Delicious and simple to try at home this undyed smoked haddock is gently cooked in a milk, parsley and caper sauce, served with buttery new potatoes and steamed carrot. This tasty recipe is great if you're counting the calories and trying to be good this month. Fish is so healthy and packed full of protein which will keep you fuller for longer. With only 291 calories per portion and 2g of fat too, this low-fat dinner is not to be missed.
- 150ml skimmed milk
- 110g piece smoked haddock
- 2 level tsps cornflour
- 1 tbsp capers, rinsed, drained and chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 125g new potatoes, steamed, to serve
- 1 carrot, finely shredded
You could use salmon, cod or tuna steaks in this recipe too - just adjust cooking time accordingly
- Pour the milk into a pan and add the fish. Bring to the boil, cover the pan and simmer gently for 2-3 mins. Turn off the heat and leave the fish in the pan for about 5 mins, or until it flakes when a knife is pressed into it.
- Put the fish on a plate and keep it warm while making the sauce. Mix the cornflour with 1 tbsp water. Bring the milk to the boil and add the slaked cornflour, stirring well so the milk thickens. Simmer for a min to cook the cornflour. Add the capers, most of the parsley and season. Spoon the sauce over the fish. Serve with the potatoes and steamed carrot with some parsley stirred into it.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 291(kcal)
- Fat 2.0g
- Saturates 0.5g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.