Chocolate ice cream with caramel sauce
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This deliciously sweet and easy to make chocolate ice cream is topped with a homemade caramel sauce which is sweet and sticky. The perfect dessert recipe to share with the whole family, the kids are going to love trying this chocolate classic. Made with dark chocolate, the flavour of the ice cream is rich and moreish. Ideal for the summer months, serve scoops in cones or in a bowl sprinkled with chocolate sugar strands for a fun twist.
- 100g bar dark chocolate
- 300ml full-cream milk
- 75g caster sugar
- 3 med egg yolks
- 300ml carton whipping cream
- 250g caster sugar
- 170ml pot double cream
The sauce will thicken as it cools, so just warm it in the microwave to serve. It will keep for 2 weeks in the fridge.
- Break the chocolate into a pan, add the milk and heat gently, stirring until smooth. Leave to cool for a few mins.
- Beat the sugar and yolks in a bowl until thick. Stir in the chocolate milk, pour it back in the pan and cook over a gentle heat, stirring, to make a custard that coats the back of a spoon. Pour into a bowl and leave to cool.
- Whip the cream to soft peaks then fold into the cooled custard. Put in an ice-cream maker to churn, or freeze in a plastic tub for 2-3 hrs, take out, break it up and mix until smooth, freeze again. Repeat the process. Take out of the freezer and put in the fridge 20 mins before serving. Serve small scoops with the sauce.
- To make the sauce: Put the sugar and 4 tbss of water in a heavybased pan over a med heat. Let the sugar dissolve, then bubble to make caramel. It takes about 10 mins. Take off the heat, pour in the cream (watch out: it bubbles up), then stir until smooth. Pour into a jug. Serve warm or cool.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 520(kcal)
- Fat 33.0g
- Saturates 20.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.