Beetroot and goats cheese frittata
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This simple recipe makes an excellent light supper or lunch box treat. It is a great alternative to a quiche and takes just minutes to make. It is amazing what you can make with a few simple ingredients and the all-important eggs. Feta can be substituted for the goats cheese if you have some that needs using and you could always add in some peas for extra freshness. Cooked in advance this beetroot and goats cheese frittata can be cooled and served at a picnic or buffet with some simple salad leaves like pea shoots or spinach – delicious!
- 3 fresh beetroot, cut into 2cm cubes
- 100g goats cheese in cubes
- 2tsp cumin seeds
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- Sea salt
- Olive oil
- 1tbsp butter
If you can’t get hold of fresh beetroot you can use preserved beetroot, it will just make the dish more purple! Don’t use beetroot pickled in vinegar though.
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C/230°F/Fan 160°C/Gas Mark 4
- Wrap the beetroot in some foil and drizzle with olive oil, salt and 1tsp cumin seeds. Roast for 20 minutes or until tender.
- Fry the garlic and 1tsp cumin in the butter and a little olive oil in a shallow ovenproof pan or baking tray. Season the eggs.
- Add the beetroot to the pan, followed by the eggs and finally the goats cheese.
- Give it a shake to make sure the ingredients are distributed evenly then finish off in the oven for 10 minutes or until set. Serve with some salad leaves.