Broccoli, cashew nut and chilli pasta
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This warming dish is vibrant, healthy and quick to throw together. It takes just a few ingredients, and the chances are you will already have them in the fridge. A really easy mid-week supper that has a nice kick to it from the addition of fresh chilli. Broccoli and chilli work perfectly together with a hint of garlic all tied together with some Parmesan cheese. Any leftovers can be kept for a healthy lunchbox treat the next day too. Try swapping pasta for quinoa for extra protein, rice works well with this dish too.
- 100g broccoli, cut into florets
- 150g penne pasta
- 50g unsalted cashew nuts
- 1 clove garlic, finely sliced
- ½ fresh red chilli, finely sliced
- 15g unsalted butter
- Dash olive oil
- Handful Parmesan, grated
- Salt and pepper
Make sure you keep an eye on the cashew nuts when they are cooking as they can burn easily.
- Bring a pan of water to a rolling boil and season with salt.
- Add the pasta and cook for 7 minutes. At this point, add the broccoli and boil for a further 5 minutes.
- Drain, reserving some of the cooking water.
- Heat a frying pan on a medium heat, drizzle in some olive oil and cook the cashew nuts until golden brown.
- Add the butter to the pan and the chilli and cook for a minute.
- Add the garlic and cook for a further minute.
- Throw the pasta and broccoli in and a tablespoon of cooking water and toss well. Add the parmesan cheese and season to taste.