Chocolate and salted caramel cookies
Skill level: Easy peasy
These indulgent cookies have a salted caramel dough encasing chunks of good quality dark chocolate. It is always worth buying the best chocolate you can because you can taste it in the finished result. Just use a tin for the caramel sauce, unless you are feeling adventurous, in which case you could make that yourself too! Get them out of the oven when they are still a tiny bit soft because cooling them on a rack will allow them to firm up. Too long in the oven could cause the cookies to be dry and brittle.
- 150g plain flour
- 150g unsalted butter
- 50g caster sugar
- 50g soft brown sugar
- 1/4tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 100g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 1 egg
- 1tsp salt
- 3tbsp caramel sauce
Try switching the salt and caramel sauce for peanut butter.
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C/230°F/Fan 160°C/Gas Mark 4. Mix the flour, sugar and bicarbonate of soda in a large mixing bowl.
- Melt the butter over a low heat. Add the egg to the dry ingredients and mix.
- Add the melted butter, caramel sauce, chopped chocolate and salt and mix well.
- Leave the dough to rest for 10 minutes. Line two flat baking trays (or do in two batches).
- Dollop six large spoonfuls of the mixture per tray, leaving space for them spreading, Smooth gently with the back of the spoon.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a rack.