Spinach and feta parcels
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Inspired by the Greek Spanakopita, this dish is seriously easy but still has the wow factor. You could serve this as part of a mezze with olives, crusty bread and hummus or on its own as a lunch or starter. These are best eaten as soon as they are cooked, when the pastry is nice and crisp, but you could always have any leftovers for lunch the next day. The salty feta means you don’t need any seasoning at all, and the spinach can just go in raw to prevent too much moisture and the pastry going soggy.
- 200g puff pastry
- 80g spinach
- 150g feta cheese
- 1 egg, mixed
Making sure that they tray is really hot before you put the parcels in ensures you avoid the dreaded soggy bottom!
- Pre-heat oven to 200°C/400°F/Fan 180°C/Gas Mark 6.
- Place a flat baking tray in the oven to get nice and hot. Roll out four portions of puff pastry into squares around 12cm x 12cm.
- Crumble the feta and mix with the spinach in a bowl. Place a bundle of the mixture in the middle of each piece of pastry.
- Egg wash the edges and bring them together in the middle, squeezing to make sure they stick.
- Egg wash the tops. Place in the oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown.