Salmon, egg and asparagus salad
Skill level: Easy peasy
This fresh and filling salmon, egg and asparagus salad is perfect to serve as a light lunch or starter. Try to make it in the early summer months when British asparagus is in season and at itís best. You can use canned salmon or better still cold, poached salmon, or even a can of tuna if you prefer. Why not make a big platter of this to serve for a summer alfresco lunch with friends and just serve with lots of crusty bread and chilled white wine.
- 200g asparagus spears, trimmed
- 2 hard-boiled eggs
- 1 bag mixed salad leaves
- 200g cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cucumber
- 200g cold, cooked salmon fillet, flaked or 200g can salmon, drained and flaked
- 150ml soured cream
- Grated zest of 1/2 lemon
- 2tbsp chopped fresh dill
To stop grey rings formed round the yolk of hard-boiled eggs, cool them quickly in cold water after boiling for 8 mins.
- Bring a frying pan full of water to the boil. Add the asparagus and cook for 3 mins until just tender. Drain and plunge into cold water to cool. Drain again.
- Cut the eggs in half and toss with the salad leaves in a bowl. Cut the tomatoes in half and slice the cucumber, add to the salad bowl with the flaked salmon and asparagus.
- To make the dressing, mix the soured cream with the lemon zest and dill and season to taste. Drizzle over the salad just before serving.