Mint chocolate cupcakes
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Everyone knows that mint and chocolate make THE perfect partners and these delicious mint chocolate cupcakes are the best of both worlds! Taking a simple chocolate sponge cake mix, you can add white, milk or dark choc chips to the mixture too if liked and why not chop up a mint flavoured chocolate bar and add that to either the cake mix or use on top of the icing to decorate. We’ve used un-refined muscovado sugar in the recipe as this gives a richer flavour but if you don’t have any, just use caster sugar. You could also use this mix to make two 18cm round sponge cakes.
IngredientsFor the cakes:
- 150g butter, softened
- 150g light muscovado sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 115g self-raising flour, sifted
- 35g cocoa powder, sifted
- 1/2tsp baking powder
For the icing:
- 50g butter, softened
- 200g icing sugar
- Few drops mint extract
- Few drops green food colouring
- Chocolate curls, to decorate
Unrefined sugar has more flavour and is great for cake baking as it tends to keep cakes moister too. You can use dark or light muscovado sugar - the darker the more toffee and caramel flavour it has.
- To make this cupcake recipe, preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C Fan/Gas Mark 4. Line a cupcake tin with large paper cupcake cases.
- Place the butter and muscovado sugar in a mixing bowl and beat until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add the beaten egg, a little at a time, until smooth. Using a large metal spoon fold in the flour, cocoa, and baking powder. Divide the mixture between the cake cases.
- Bake for 20 -25 mins until risen and just firm to the touch. Allow to cool on a wire rack.
- To make the icing; Beat the butter with 1-2 tsp boiling water and the icing sugar to make a smooth soft consistency. Add a little green colouring, a drop at a time to give the desired colour and add mint extract to taste. Pipe or swirl onto the cupcakes and sprinkle with chocolate curls.