Fresh tomato salsa
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This simple recipe gets perfect results every time. You can't beat a bowl of fresh homemade salsa. The juicy tomatoes work wonders in this dish to create a light and refreshing salsa that is great for serving alongside Mexican classics such as fajitas, burritos or tacos. The green chillies in this recipe gives the side dish a little kick and the red onion gives a tangy flavour. This salsa will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days but is best prepared and served fresh.
- 4-5 large, ripe tomatoes, deseeded and chopped
- 1 green chilli, deseeded and chopped
- ½-1 red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1-2 tbsp freshly chopped coriander
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped oregano
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Make the tomato salsa about an hour before you want to serve it to allow the flavours to blend. Stir it again when ready to serve.
- Mix together the tomatoes, chilli, onion, herbs and lime juice. Season to taste.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 30(kcal)
- Fat 0.5g
- Saturates 0.1g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.